The F-106 "Delta Dart" all-weather interceptor was developed from the Convair F-102 "Delta Dagger." Originally designated the F-102B, it was redesignated F-106 because it had extensive structural changes and a more powerful engine. The first F-106A flew on Dec. 26, 1956, and deliveries to the Air Force began in July 1959. Production ended in late 1960 after 277 F-106As and 63 F-106Bs had been built. The F-106 served as the backbone for America's Air Defense Command (ADC).
The F-106A uses a Hughes MA-1 electronic guidance and fire control system. After takeoff, the MA-1 can be given control of the aircraft after takeoff to fly it to the proper altitude and attack position. Then it can fire the Genie and Falcon missiles, break off the attack run, and return the aircraft to the vicinity of its base. The pilot takes control again for the landing. The F-106 Delta Dart was the first true computerized all-weather jet interceptor.
Maximum speed: 1,525 mph (Mach 2.3) at 36,000 ft.
Cruising speed: 650 mph.
Range: 1,150 miles (Unrefueled)
Service Ceiling: 53,000 ft.